Succulent Garden – A Visual Treat for the Gardening Lovers
Everybody would love a versatile decoration of unusual plants of different shapes, sizes, colors, textures bringing comfort to your eyes, adding vibrancy to your garden.
Succulent gardens are an arrangement of fleshy drought-tolerant plants, some of which have spines, some showcase an unusual array of frills; some have swelled up stems, and many of them blossoming up with bright-colored blooms.
Succulents are habitual of living in harsh climates, and with almost negligible care, having them in your garden is quite a relief from the gardening chores. And with the liveliness, they add to the place with their elegance and remarkable textures, for sure not a single person will be satisfied with their limited and minimal presence. And that’s why succulent gardens, which are home to a combination and assortment of different succulent varieties that complement each other well, are becoming a new favorite for garden lovers.
Why prefer a succulent garden?
While people with limited or no space for gardening; are left with no choice but to have artificial succulents or other houseplants. But, garden lovers that can afford someplace in their indoors or outdoors are now preferring the succulent gardens instead of a bunch of regular houseplants.
- Everybody knows succulents are Hardy and go for a long-distance without our continuous watch. Unlike regular grouping of houseplants, succulent gardens are more capable of surviving in harsh climates and situations, making them a long-term addition to the gardens.
- Succulents have a pretty different texture, color than regular plants; also, they are available in different varieties, which look different from each other. From variegated leaves to spine filled cacti to the ones with colorful blooms, they have got the vibrancy need in a garden. That’s quite a crucial reason behind having succulent gardens, as their uniqueness and varieties present such an array of beauty that sets apart these gardens from the regular ones.
- Succulent gardens are easy to maintain than the ones with regular houseplants, as succulents are a self-sufficient species and require very little care for survival. However, care is necessary while assembling multiple varieties in one place; you select the favorable ones according to climate and situations.
- Most of the succulents are self-propagating and are easy to propagate, elongating the life and beauty of the succulent gardens. One doesn’t have to search again for their favorite plants. If for once you have planted them in your garden.
- Succulents are known for their air-purifying and medicinal benefits. Having a lot of succulents in one place not only improves the air quality but also gives you the option of having a specific variety for a particular purpose like medicinal.
- Some succulents like to live under the shade of big ones, while some love to grow in the same container with some other varieties. Succulent gardens can be home to a lot that can live together, visually complement each other, and benefit each other in many ways.
- Most of the succulent varieties are available for indoor and outdoor gardens both because of that garden lovers don’t have to compromise with their favorite plant. And, with the creative garden design ideas, they can have a beautiful composition of their favorite succulents in their succulent gardens.
Types of Succulent Gardens
- Vertical succulent garden
- Indoor succulent garden
- succulent fairy garden
- Succulent rock garden
Depending on the requirement and facilities at a place, one can have a garden full of succulents. If they have got space for the outdoor garden, they can go for the rock garden or raised bed garden, and if there is a space crunch, they can choose the container arrangements to accommodate a variety of succulents indoors.
Shallow rooted and low-light demanding succulents grow well in the containers. On the other hand, succulents that need a decent amount of bright light for thriving can be a suitable addition to the open-air, succulent gardens.
Some succulents are large-sized with long roots and could not be contained in containers, while some have this drooping and trailing habit, making them suitable for the hanging ones. Also, different succulent gardens prefer succulent arrangements of different types; some succulents belong to arid climates and need rock gardens with coarse sands and dry soil for thriving. Some are okay with a little more moisture in the ground soil or a humid atmosphere in the bathroom, storeroom, etc.
Plan the Succulent Gardens carefully
A combination of succulents in a unique way in your garden presents a beautiful sight to a viewer, and who doesn’t love appreciation for his efforts, praise for all the watchful steps taken to make these plants bloom to the best.
Raising a group of succulents that complement each other, not only in terms of beauty but also in the field of nourishment, care, and growth, is a crucial task and requires good planning from the start. The beauty and prosperity of the succulent gardens can grow higher only if gardeners opt for suitable methods and tips to care for their succulents for the best.
Planning for succulent gardens starts from the moment somebody decides to have one at their place. And as large numbers of succulents are involved in it, care needs to be taken that the right choices are made and at the right time. Preparation for succulent gardens involves; a lot of factors, out of which some are relative from the start.
- Climate: It is a crucial factor in deciding the type of garden and plants you want to have. Succulent gardens depend heavily on climate or weather; if your region belongs to a dry zone, you can go for an outdoor garden type. On the other hand, if it is humid and receives less sunlight, you can opt for the indoor garden type. And if you are planning to have an outdoor garden in a humidity and rainfall centric area, then you should have to make proper arrangement to safeguard succulents from the excess moisture.
- Garden size: As you must have understood till now, for flourishing succulent gardens, preparation is a must, and that preparation is incomplete if we don’t consider the size of our garden. By garden size we mean, how much area is available in your garden for planting succulents.
It is most relatable in terms of outdoor gardens, as succulent varieties to choose from and garden design to go for highly depends on it. One can go for some succulent gardens in adverse climates if there is space to go for a structure or shade or maybe larger succulents or plants. But, indoor succulent gardens in containers also need some location and placement, which must be figured out; in advance.
- Soil Type:
Soil quality and composition decide what type of succulents it can naturally hold. And, if some essential ingredient is lacking, you can always compensate for that item by adding it later, according to the guidelines. Succulents like well-drained soil, which might not be available at your place, then you can prepare one with the help of locally available items.
- Garden Design:
The Long-life and beauty of the succulent gardens depend quite a lot on the type of garden design one has selected. According to the climate, location, and size of the garden soil, and plant type, the preferred design of the garden varies. Like some succulents are better grown in rock gardens, while some prefer raised beds. Similarly, climate also plays a role in deciding garden look and design, and so does the size of it. In indoor succulent gardens, one can opt for different types of containers or hanging pots, as per the choice and feel. The personal choice of a gardener also has an impact on deciding a particular design for the succulent gardens.
- Succulent Types and sizes:
We have got different types of succulent varieties that perfectly suit the environment of open-air, succulent gardens, and also for the indoor ones. Agave, Aloe Vera, Sedum, Kalanchoe, Senseveira, Burro’s tail, Desert Rose Plant, Euphorbia, Sempervivum, Orchid Cactus, etc. are some famous varieties that can enhance the beauty of your garden. Moreover, Depending on the size of theirs, you can arrange the plants in your succulent gardens like you can place the little ones beneath large ones, which can provide them the shade from afternoon heat and rain.
Apart from the above, some other local and personal factors affect the choice of succulent gardens. Like one can opt for the succulents that match the aura of their place and surroundings, or some may avoid the ones with spines or include those. In total, succulent gardens have got unique charm, and seeing a garden filled with unusual varieties of plants planted decoratively is a treat for the eyes.