What are Snake plants? They’re a popular plant choice for a variety of reasons, from thriving in arid climates to filtering indoor air. Read on to discover more about this succulent plant. They’re easy to grow and require little maintenance. This succulent also benefits from arid climates, as well as having a wide variety of uses. This article will cover the basic facts about snake plants, including their importance as air filters and how to care for them properly.
Snake plants are succulents
Because they’re succulents, snake plants are easy to care for. They need very little water, but you should give them a good soak to make sure the soil is dry between waterings. Depending on the type of snake plant you have, you may need to give them a little extra water on occasion. Because of this, they’re best suited to well-drained soil. If the soil is not well-drained, watering will be insufficient and the plant will die.
In order to ensure that your snake plant is growing well, choose a bright spot. It can tolerate low light for a while, but the leaves will grow long and droopy, losing their compact look. Once you’ve moved them to a brighter location, you can increase their light level gradually. They don’t like too much direct sunlight, so don’t overdo it at first. As with all succulents, you’ll want to gradually increase the light level.
They require little care
When growing snake plants, you need to consider their light requirements. While they will grow faster in bright light, snake plants do not require direct sunlight. The ideal spot for them indoors is ten feet away from a south or west window. They can also tolerate low light levels but are most productive when given adequate sunlight. While they do well in low-light environments, they don’t like to be overwatered. Water only when the soil feels dry and reaches a depth of three inches.
Pests: There are few pest problems associated with snake plants, although they can be susceptible to common houseplant pests such as aphids and mealybugs. Using rubbing alcohol to remove mealybugs is a good way to keep your snake plants healthy. Spider mites, on the other hand, can affect your snake plants if they’re growing in a poor environment. Insect-resistant snake plants have low maintenance requirements.
They thrive in arid climates
Although they may not thrive in high light, snake plants can tolerate poor, indirect light. They thrive in low light, but they do not like bright, direct sunlight. For best results, place your snake plant in a shady corner with good indirect light. Once established, slowly move it to direct sunlight, as over-watering will cause root rot. The best time to water your snake plant is during the spring and summer months, but be sure to avoid direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day.
Water your snake plants only when their top 1.5 inches of soil is dry. Water them once every three weeks or so, depending on lighting and humidity conditions. Snake plants like well-drained soil, so make sure you choose a pot with drainage holes. Otherwise, water will sit on the bottom of the pot and cause the snake plant to rot. While snake plants don’t require fertilizer, you may want to lightly feed them in early spring, when the soil is newly added to the pot.
They filter indoor air
Growing a snake plant in your home will improve the air quality of your home by removing toxins and pollen. According to NASA research, this plant can remove up to 87 percent of volatile organic compounds, or VOCs. These toxins can be found in various sources, including cigarettes, grocery bags, books, ink, and rugs. Snake plants also produce oxygen and can provide moisture to the air.
Succulents, such as snake plants, are known for their ability to filter indoor air. The plants contain an enzyme known as Crassulacean Acid Metabolism, which allows them to perform a specific type of photosynthesis. These plants are drought-resistant, tolerant, and dry climate plants that open their stomata in the evening to minimize water loss. Moreover, they are known to reduce the presence of benzene, xylene, and toluene in the air.
They grow on their own stems
It’s easy to multiply snake plants. Snake plants have long stems and leaves that can store water. Because they can survive without water, snake plants can go a couple of weeks between waterings. But if you give them too much water, their roots can become damaged. Snake plants aren’t used to sitting in water for a long time, so their roots degrade when they are constantly exposed to water. Eventually, damaged roots can’t transport water or nutrients to the plant.
To start your snake plant, cut off a leaf near the base. Make a V-shaped cut in the leaf to lift it up and minimize rotting. Leave the cuttings for 2 weeks. Replace the water in the jar every two days. During this time, small roots should sprout from the base of the cutting. Once the cutting has rooted, plant it in a container with houseplant potting soil.
- BOWSTRING EVERGREEN: Sansevieria Superba is a drought-tolerant perennial with sharp, dark green leaves year-round. Commonly known as Snake Plant or Devils Tongue Plant, this hardy succulent is composed of strong fibers that have been used to craft bowstrings for generations. As a houseplant, Superba is very easy to care for and delivers a strong statement through its undeniable aesthetic
- DENSE SUCCULENT WITH BUTTERY EDGES: Leaves of the Snake Plant grow thick and wide, tapering into sword-like points. Foliage edges are striped in a luscious creamy yellow, which accents green-silver ripples. Mother in Laws Tongue House Plant looks great with basket weave or ceramic pots, by itself or with other potted plants
- CREEPING RHIZOME, ROSETTE: Similar to lotus or bamboo, Superba succulents spread by way of creeping rhizome, a horizontal stem that produces roots. Tightly clustered rosette leaves grow upwards from the soil and are leathery in texture. Superba’s compelling structure adds dimension to the indoors, grabbing attention wherever the plant is grown
- TWISTING VISION: Devil’s Tongue Plant grows foliage that subtly twists and turns with development. This wave effect occurs naturally and creates a sense of motion in Superba’s overall home decor presentation. Each succulent plant is shipped fully rooted in a starter snake plant pot. This indoor house plant is guaranteed a healthy delivery
- ROBUST SNAKE PLANT: Real Snake Plant is hard to kill. While Sansevieria indoor house plants do have their preferences, even a beginning grower would be hard-pressed to fail. Superba is easy to grow and will tolerate drought and low light (not unalike other low light house plants). Live plants should be unpacked gently upon arrival. Each plant ships fully rooted in a 4 inch grow pot and is estimated to range from 4-6 inches tall (measured from the rim of the pot)
- 👍✨【PREMIUM QUALITY POTTED PLANTS】: Realistic artificial sansevieria plants are made of eco-friendly polyester material. Each fake Snake Plant with pot leaf is thick, upright, solid, has its own elegant arc, gives you a touch like a leathery. “Hollyone” brand assurance is worthy of your trust.
- 📐✨【PERFECT SIZE】: Large faux snake plant height approx: 17″, pots: 4.9″W x 1.2″W x 4.5″H. ⭕❗Please read the measurement more attentively. It’s a really good size for placing on a tabletop or on the floor. A matte white planter balances the sturdy leaves with the base of the plant, simulation soil makes it looks real enough.
- 🏡✨【ALL SEASON DECOR】: All styles were originally designed by “Hollyone”, Minimalist plant stand design originates modern art design. The bamboo plant stand can accommodate other potted plants you might throw at it. Snake Artificial Plants are the perfect decor for home indoor, office, windowsills, patios, kitchens, living rooms, bedrooms, and small yards.
- ✨【MAINTENANCE FREE】: Decorative 10 full leaves faux plants are a practical alternative to living plants. Our small fake snake plant artificial looks like you’ve been babied it for years, but never need water or sun. The first choice of housewarming gift! Or present for your friends, family, and loved ones.
- 💯🛒【TRY WITHOUT RISK!】: Fake potted snake plants indoor would make you feel more breath of nature in year-round fast-paced, enjoy the rich beauty our artificial sansevieria trifasciata fake plants bring to your interior and outdoor décor now. If you encounter problems with your order, our helpful after-sales service center is always here for you ;-)
- MOTHER IN LAWS TONGUE HOUSE PLANT: Sansevieria is a herbaceous evergreen, hardy and with rigid leaves. The dramatic Snake Plant excites the curiosity as a standing accent, showcasing contrasting colors and horizontal patterns.
- BEAUTIFULLY BANDED EDGES: This wavy succulent plant has pointed leaves banded with solid yellow streaks along the edges. A lush indoor house plant with grey-green variegation that thrives in a small-medium pot or planter.
- STEMLESS, BASAL ROSETTE: Sansevieria, Devil’s Tongue Plant, grows upright from the base with firm foliage. This slow-growing species becomes a vibrant houseplant that is easy to care for and does not require pruning. These resilient plants will enjoy moderate to bright indirect sunlight.
- FULLY ROOTED IN A SNAKE PLANT POT: Each snake plant is grown with other potted plants within a rotated nursery stock. Indoor house plants are fully rooted in starter pots, ready for shipping and delivery. Succulents require care upon arrival for continued growth.
- SANSEVIERIA LIVE PLANTS GUARANTEE: Sansevieria Laurentii “Variegated Snake Plant” is guaranteed to arrive in prime condition, prepared for home decor. Each plant ships fully rooted in a 4 inch grow pot and is estimated to range from 9-11 inches tall (measured from the rim of the pot).
- This tall, strappy leaf requires minimal care and adds instant beauty to your home or office.
- Height at shipping is approximately 30-inches tall, measured from the bottom of the pot to the top of the plant. Ships in a 10-inch diameter décor pot.
- Grow Snake Plant in bright, indirect sunlight for the best growth and enjoy!
- Water Snake Plant with approximately 2-3 cups of water about once a week. Adjust as needed for your environment.
- Variegated foliage adds a distinctive look to your home all year long.
- 【Great Choice for Decoration】: The height of the artificial snake plants is 38″. The base is black plastic pot. Unlike real plants, our artificial snake plants will not cause allergies. Realistic texture and lifelike color, is a great option to fill an empty space around you.
- 【Cute&Realistic】: The plastic branch has iron-wires inside. To achieve its gorgeous appearance, artificial snake plant needs to be reshaped when you remove it from the box. The branches are very flexible, you can easily shape them into the way you prefer.
- 【Realistic Detail】: To create a more realistic look, leaves are made in varying color gradation, vein pattern, and shape, with high quality materials, sophisticated craftsmanship.With some careful manipulation you can create a very full realistic artificial snake plants. Looks great in living room, looks better in day light.
- 【No Maintenance】: Artificial snake plant is a great way to add softness and style without having to add maintenance time into your schedule. Our artificial snake plant do not have to water and no dead leaves. It has a strong and lasting vitality. It is a perfect solution for many busy professionals who don’t have the time or energy to take care of real plants.
- 【Attractive Artificial Snake Plant】: Artificial snake plants are all the rage in interior and exterior decor. Perfect for entryway, front porch, living room, dining room, bedroom, farmhouse, home, office or anywhere you want to add a charming touch of greenery. Decorating any corner with our faux plants can add greenery into your space.